- Educate yourself and your family by discussing the different types of disaster that can most likely occur in Wichita County
- Pick two places to meet
- Right outside you home in case of a sudden emergencyOutside your neighborhood in case you cannot return home. Make sure all your family members know the address and phone number.
- Ask an out-of-state friend or relative to be your “family contact”. This will make it easier for friends and relative outside the disaster area to obtain information on your well-being Expect telephone service to be disrupted. Make sure all your friends and relatives know the telephone number of the person you designate to be your “family contact”.
- Plan for your pets – they don’t want to be left out!
- Prepare a Family Emergency Kit
- Practice your plan! Make sure everyone knows what is expected. The more you practice, the you’ll be prepared.
Shelter in Place
The best protection for some emergencies will be to “Shelter in Place”. Sheltering in place means to go indoors and minimize the amount of outside air that enters your home or business. This protective action will be recommended if an airborne hazard is moving too quickly to allow adequate time to evacuate. If advised to shelter in place:
- Go indoors.
- Close all doors and windows.
- Turn off heaters, air conditioners, or fans that draw in outside air.
- Close fireplace dampers.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a damp cloth.
Listen to your radio or television for further instructions.